A Tour of Our Home: Upstairs Guest Room Update (Before & After)

farmhouse bedroom update makeover


Kevin and I have officially been living in our house for a year-and-a-half, and up until recently two of our four bedrooms had remained untouched and un-updated.  Because let's be honest, not all of us have the resources to tackle multiple room makeovers at one time.  Lucky for us these rooms weren't really being used so there was no rush to update them and fill them with furniture.  That is, until I had friends come to visit!  I used my two girlfriends coming into town as an excuse to get down to business and give one of these rooms a facelift.  It's a good thing too since I couldn't stare at that stenciled border for a whole lot longer.

Here's what we started with:



Let's take a closer look at that lovely painted border, shall we?  It's like the room is wrapped in a big Christmas ribbon.

Fancy.






Sorry for the bad lighting, but you get the idea.




As you can see this room was nothing to gawk at.  Boring walls, orange oak trim, and wood outlet covers.  It was basically empty with the exception of an old painted dresser and ladder shelf.  Definitely time to switch things up!  First things first: painting the walls.  Since I didn't have a large spending budget for this room I decided to use up some leftover Behr paint from our main level living area makeover.  It took three coats of primer to get that border covered up....



I also painted the trim which wasn't in the best shape.


Ready for the reveal?  Here's the finished result:

farmhouse bedroom update makeover


The new look is so calm and serene - perfect for a guest room.  And the whole makeover didn't cost much to achieve.  I found the metal bedframe on Craigslist for $85 which I spraypainted with Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze and the pleated bedspread was on sale at Target.  The prints I had laying around from IKEA and the throw pillows were found at TJ Maxx.  The metal wall hanging was the only real splurge, and even that was only $80 at Kirkland's.

farmhouse bedroom update makeover


farmhouse bedroom update makeover


farmhouse bedroom update makeover


farmhouse bedroom update makeover


farmhouse bedroom update makeover



farmhouse bedroom update makeover


Since I'm cheap I didn't want to splurge on a new curtain rod I decided to reuse the existing one.  It's amazing what a little spraypaint can do.  I don't think anyone would guess that this is a wooden curtain rod.




Crossing one more room off of our home makeover list is a great feeling - I'm hoping I'll be able to add our kitchen to the list by the end of the summer so keep an eye out for that!


Source list:
-Metal bedframe: Craigslist
-Painted dresser: DIY
-Wood Isabelline Plaque: Kirkland's
-Wall clock: Hobby Lobby
-Curtains: IKEA
-Butterfly prints: IKEA
-Frames: Michael's
-Bedspread: Target
-Teal decorative pillows: TJ Maxx
-Blue vase: TJ Maxx
-Greenery: Michael's


Thanks for reading!



No comments