DIY: Cupcake Ladder Display


cupcake ladder display

If you've been reading any of my previous posts, you'd know that Kevin and I were pretty dead set against having a fancy cake at our wedding.  A big part of it was due to cost (since a detailed wedding cake design can cost upwards of $500!), but the other part of it was because it allowed us to cut out the middle man and buy from a local bakery that I've supported since I was in diapers.  So to make a long story longer......we got cupcakes.  But we still needed a place to put them, and Pinterest gave me yet another brilliant idea - to use a ladder as a cupcake display!  The best part about this was that my parents already had an old wood ladder stowed away in their garage, so we didn't even have to go rummaging to find one.  It must have been destiny, right? 

Here's how she turned out when it was all said and done:

cupcake ladder display


cupcake ladder display



To make the ladder look somewhat presentable my parents put a few coats of paint on it, making sure to still leave a few rough spots so it had that worn in, rustic look.  Add a couple of plywood shelves that were cut to the width of each ladder rung and we were set.

The "cupcakes" sign was made using leftover wood slices from our save-the-date magnets (featured here in a previous post).  I drew the letters by hand using sharpie and drilled a small hole into each slice so I could thread the twine through to hang them up.  Voila!

cupcake ladder display


The cupcake toppers were made using wooden coffee stir-sticks (that were generously given to me for free by a local coffee shop) and round Kraft paper stickers that were bought here.  Using the small bird stamp from my wine bottle centerpieces (bought here), I stamped each sticker and then sandwiched the stir stick in between two of them.  Easy peasy.  Since I already had the stamp this little project only cost me the price of the stickers - about $10. 

cupcake topper decoration

No comments